The river of dreams.
Caño Cristales is a destination within the Colombian jungle that is beyond the visitor’s wildest dreams. The intense red of the plant that covers its bed (Macarenia Clavijera) blows the mind of even the most seasoned explorer. And if that is not enough, nature has carved formations on its bedrock that give us some insight about Earth’s geological past. A unique natural setting in a wonderful region.
This will surely be an exciting and unforgettable journey into the Colombian jungle. In the usual tour, there is a flight that goes from Villavicencio to the town of La Macarena. There are also charter flights from Bogotá as well as flights from Satena airline.
The recommended time for the trip is 4 days. The straight-line distance from Bogotá is 280 Km. No roads are available to reach this destination.
It includes: Charter Flight Villavicencio – La Macarena – Bogotá, land and river transportation Bogotá – Villavicencio, access to the sites of interest, specialized guide, lodging in a hotel in La Macarena (or in the cabins outside of town), 3 breakfasts and 3 lunches, tourist tax and travel insurance.
Not included: dinner*, personal expenses, park admission fee (there are two payments: one to Cormacarena and another to Parques Nacionales. The total amount for the two payments are $57,000 pesos for the national citizens and $87,000 pesos for foreigners).
*In the Macarena municipality there are several restaurants, there is also fast food.
* Each person must bring the yellow fever vaccine ID.
* To confirm booking, it is required to deposit 50 % of the total value and make the booking as soon as possible. To enter the river it is necessary to apply for an entry permit (controlled by local authorities) with time. Limited availability!
* To avoid congestion, and for ease of normal development of the activities, we recommend traveling on weekdays or weekends but NOT on holidays.
* If you wish to travel on any date that is not within our programming, please ask for a quote via email. We organize personalized tours to the river on any date within the visiting season. The cost varies according to the dates and the number of people in the group.
*By booking the trip well in advance you can fly direct Bogota – La Macarena in Satena airline. In this case, the cost of the trip may vary. Please check availability and rates
. •In La Macarena there are NO ATMs, you have to bring cash
•You cannot stay in Caño Cristales more than six hours per person a day.
• Hoteles in La Macarena are all alike and basic. Usually they have a fan and a private bathroom. There is only cold water.
• You can’t find a great variety of food, overall there is chicken, meat and fish with rice and patacón (squashed plantain).
• The cell phone signal is limited (there is only Claro service) and there is no wi-fi.
It is located in the south end of the Meta department and 9 km east of Río Guayabero and is part of the Serranía de la Macarena National Natural Park. It is an area that has great and complex biodiversity due to the coming together of three bio-geographic systems: The Andes, the Amazon and the Orinoco. This unique diversity represents a true natural treasure for Colombia.